Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    3 New Prime Video Movies to Watch in February 2026, Ranked by IMDb Rating

    February 22, 2026

    2026 NHL Free Agents – Unrestricted Right Wingers

    February 22, 2026

    Armed man killed after entering secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, Secret Service says

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Wowie NewsWowie News
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    Wowie NewsWowie News
    Home»Business»TSA says PreCheck is still operational after DHS head Noem said it was suspended due to shutdown
    Business

    TSA says PreCheck is still operational after DHS head Noem said it was suspended due to shutdown

    Alex MaschinoBy Alex MaschinoFebruary 22, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The Transportation Security Administration said Sunday that its PreCheck program would remain operational despite an earlier announcement from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that the airport security service was being suspended during the partial government shutdown.

    “As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case by case basis and adjust operations accordingly,” the agency said.

    It was not immediately clear whether Global Entry, another airport service, would be affected. PreCheck and Global Entry are designed to help speed registered travelers through security lines, and suspensions would likely cause headaches and delays. Since starting in 2013, more than 20 million Americans are signed up for TSA PreCheck, according to the Department of Homeland Security, and millions of those Americans also have overlapping Global Entry memberships. Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection program that allows pre-approved, low-risk travelers to use expedited kiosks when entering the United States from abroad.

    The turmoil is tied to a partial government shutdown that began Feb. 14 after Democrats and the White House were unable to reach a deal on legislation to fund the Department of Homeland Security. Democrats have been demanding changes to immigration operations that are core to President Donald Trump’s deportation campaign.

    The security disruptions come at a time where a major winter storm will hit the East Coast from Sunday into Monday. Nine out of ten flights going out of John F. Kennedy International Airport, LaGuardia Airport and Boston Logan Airport have been cancelled for Monday.

    Homeland Security previously said it was taking “emergency measures to preserve limited funds.” Among the steps listed were “ending Transportation Security Administration (TSA) PreCheck lanes and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Global Entry service, to refocus Department personnel on the majority of travelers.”

    “We are glad that DHS has decided to keep PreCheck operational and avoid a crisis of its own making,” said Geoff Freeman, president and CEO of the U.S. Travel Association.

    Before announcing the PreCheck shutdown, Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement Saturday night that “shutdowns have serious real world consequences.”

    One group of fliers will definitely be affected, according to TSA.

    “Courtesy escorts, such as those for Members of Congress, have been suspended to allow officers to focus on the mission of securing America’s skies,” the agency said.

    Airlines for America, a trade group representing major carriers, said Saturday night that “it’s past time for Congress to get to the table and get a deal done.” It also criticized the announcement by saying it was “issued with extremely short notice to travelers, giving them little time to plan accordingly.”

    “A4A is deeply concerned that TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs are being suspended and that the traveling public will be, once again, used as a political football amid another government shutdown,” the organization said.

    Democrats on the House Committee on Homeland Security criticized Homeland Security handling of airport security after the initial announcement on Saturday night. They accused the administration of “kneecapping the programs that make travel smoother and secure.”

    Sen. Andy Kim, a New Jersey Democrat, said Noem’s actions are part of an administration strategy to distract from other issues and shift responsibility.

    “This administration is trying to weaponize our government, trying to make things intentionally more difficult for the American people as a political leverage,” he told CNN on Sunday. “And the American people see that.”

    DHS due Noem operational PreCheck shutdown suspended TSA
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Alex Maschino
    • Website

    Related Posts

    From UMG’s deal with superfan platform EVEN to Live Nation’s $25B in 2025… it’s MBW’s weekly round-up

    February 22, 2026

    Client Challenge

    February 21, 2026

    Form 13G Tyra Biosciences For: 20 February

    February 20, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About us
    • Discailmer
    • Term And Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact us
    © 2026 CopyRight. Designed by https://wowienews.com/.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.